Where can I find SSN my Social Security Number?

ITIN (International Taxpayer Identification Number) and Social Security Number

Use your SSN to file your tax return once you've received one. Even if your SSN does not authorize employment or if you have been issued an SSN that authorizes employment and you lose your employment authorization, use it to file your tax return. You will not be granted an ITIN until you have received your SSN. Stop using your ITIN if you acquired your SSN after previously using one. Instead, use your SSN.

To apply for an ITIN, you'll need to fill out Form W-7 (available here) and submit supporting documentation to confirm your identification and foreign status. Unless you qualify for an exception, attach a valid federal income tax return, as well as your original proof of identity or copies validated by the issuing agency and Documents proving your foreign status (this means original passports, visas, and other identification documents).

You should not ship your tax return to the address indicated in the Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ instructions since you are attaching it to your ITIN application. Instead, send your return, Form W-7, proof of identity, and papers proving your foreign status to:

ITIN Operation P.O. Box 149342 Austin, TX 78714-9342 Internal Revenue Service Austin Service Center

Instead of mailing your information to the IRS in Austin, you can use the services of an IRS-authorized Acceptance Agent or visit a major IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.

In the United States, Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs) offer walk-in or appointment-based assistance with ITIN applications. Applicants from outside the US should contact the US Tax Attaché in Beijing, Frankfurt, London, or Paris. All ITIN numbers are mailed out by the IRS's ITIN Unit in Austin. The following contains information on Delaware's Taxpayer Assistance Centers.

Taxpayer Identification Numbers & Social Security Numbers

Individuals receiving most sorts of payments will need an SSN (Social Security Number) or an ITIN (International Taxpayer Identification Number) (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number). An international person who wants to claim a tax treaty exemption from withholding must have an SSN or ITIN.

The Social Security Administration (SSA) assigns an individual a nine-digit number called a Social Security Number (SSN) (SSA). For tax and wage purposes, the number is assigned. Anyone working in the United States for pay (wages, salary, etc.) is required by law to have a Social Security number (SSN). This includes employees from other countries.

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN): a nine-digit number provided to a person who is not eligible for a Social Security number but needs one for payment or tax reporting purposes in the United States. The ITIN is not a Social Security number and cannot be used for employment purposes. Because the ITIN always starts with a "9" and the fourth digit is always a "7" or "8," it is easy to distinguish it from the SSN.

Obtaining an ITIN:

To get an ITIN, fill out IRS Form W-7 (Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Number). You can get the paperwork and instructions from the IRS website.

Applying for a Social Security Number (SSN):

Visit the SSN Application page of the Social Security Administration.

International visitors should wait until they have been in the United States for 10 calendar days before applying for an SSN, according to the Social Security Administration (SSA). Waiting ten days assures that all immigration information is correctly registered in the SSA database and that the SSN is processed in a timely manner.

International F-1 and J-1 workers must get a letter from their DSO or ARO authorizing them to apply for a Social Security number. For specific instructions on this process, iStocke-sponsored F-1 and J-1 workers should contact an ISSS advisor or study the ISSS SSN website material.

Post a Comment